Where are the earthquakes? volcanoes? solar storms?
It is almost ironic, and there’s a tiny part of me wondering if the ancient Maya predicted Dec 21, 2012 as the most un-eventful date to give us.
Yes, there are some winter storms in the USA/Europe. But these aren’t exactly unexpected. What is unusual is the lack of:
earthquakes - according to the USGS this is a list of the significant earthquakes of the last 4 months- have any reached your preferred news service?
- Magnitude 6.8 VANUATU December 21, 2012
- Magnitude 7.1 BANDA SEA December 10, 2012
- Magnitude 6.3 NORTH ISLAND OF NEW ZEALAND December 07, 2012
- Magnitude 7.3 OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN December 07, 2012
- Magnitude 6.4 KURIL ISLANDS November 16, 2012
- Magnitude 6.5 OFFSHORE GUATEMALA November 11, 2012
- Magnitude 6.8 MYANMAR November 11, 2012
- Magnitude 4.3 EASTERN KENTUCKY November 10, 2012
- Magnitude 7.4 OFFSHORE GUATEMALA November 07, 2012
- Magnitude 7.7 QUEEN CHARLOTTE ISLANDS REGION October 28, 2012
- Magnitude 6.5 COSTA RICA October 24, 2012
- Magnitude 5.3 CENTRAL CALIFORNIA October 21, 2012
- Magnitude 6.2 VANUATU October 20, 2012
- Magnitude 6.7 NEAR THE SOUTH COAST OF PAPUA, INDONESIA October 12, 2012
- Magnitude 6.4 ANDREANOF ISLANDS, ALEUTIAN IS., ALASKA September 26, 2012
I hate to say it, but we are overdue for a truly significant quake, so with it being full moon and all, be wary…
volcanoes- they are a constant menace. There’s always one erupting somewhere, affecting a few people. But when was the last time one made the pages of your newspaper?
solar storms – we are supposedly reaching the peak of the solar cycle – last I heard it was to be early 2013. Bizarrely and ironically (given the Mayan doomsday and my guess as to what they were predicting), the Sun is not behaving as predicted. Five years ago NASA said it would be one of the biggest solar maximums (number of sunspots) ever. Then it gradually was revised down to a quiet peak. And now the peak isn’t even peaking!
Barely-increasing sunspot counts and anemic solar activity suggest an interesting possibility: Perhaps Solar Max has already passed. This plot of measured vs. predicted sunspot numbers illustrates the idea.
The red line is the predicted number of sunspots by the NOAA-led Solar Cycle Prediction Panel.
Here’s a prediction for you: in January we will have a killer quake, a massive solar storm that takes out satellites, and a volcano that disrupts the economy. They are all, kind of, overdue…