I have been a teacher of high school science in Bio, chem, physics, geology, and physical science for 26 years and have read all of Velikovsky's works numerous times. Today while rereading WinC I decided to look for further info on the 2012 Mayan date and came upon your site. I am happy to see this summary as well as the LaBrea and Burgess Shale rapid burial scenarios which have always been my contention though I have often been laughed at in geology classes at college. My comment, Amen, Brother. I believe.
- Consider the giant Red Spot on Jupiter. It is a genuine anomoly whose causal agency could well have been an erupted body (such as Velikovsky theorized). You should be aware that Velikovsky only reported to us in his book what ALL the ancient civilizations alive on earth at that time (and who left a discovered record) recorded as having happened, i.e. they watched as Jupiter appeared to have erupted and ejected a comet, that over several hundred years settled into an orbit as a new planet, namely Venus.
- Immanuel Velikovsky was just the messenger, so don't shoot him!
correct me if i'm wrong here. so if the earth changed poles for whatever reason it would actually phisically flip over? so then the northern hemisphere would be the southern and vice versa? i'm sure with all the cataclysm going on we wouldn't have the same continents, so what i'm wondering is if this is what happened to pangea. if there was in fact a pangea.
Hello I have found your website interesting but unfortunatly not based on any scientific fact that I can see.Venus a comet??Im sorry I dont buy it.I read one of the comments left by a teacher that actually believes this and Im wondering why is he still teaching?I think its fair to say that something obviously did happen to Venus but its a planet not a comet.Planets do not just shoot out comets.There can be no doubt that Venus is a bit of a mystery but not to the point of being the cause of major devastation.Quite simply it lacks the tectonic plates that make our planet function as a machine giving life and taking it on occasion.I could more into to detail as to how basic vulcanism makes a planet breath unlike Venus but theres not enough time for that.I came to this website because I do believe a great war or catastrophy is coming ,not just because I believe in the end times or anything like that but because Ive been subject to premonitions and visions almost all of my life.Because of this Im in search of answers or at least something that might help point me in the right direction.Long before I ever heard about the Mayan calender and the dire warnings of 2012 I had my own warnings in dream form.This is what caused me to go in search of answers.I still havent found enough but I know something major is going to happen soon.The best of luck to you in your search and I hope we are all wrong.
- Sorry, but your asstertion is ridiculous on its face. "ALL the ancient civilizations" did not have the necessary equipment to have observed Jupiter "erupting and ejecting a comet." Also since the ancient civilizations could and did observe Venus, and did not record it as a "new" celestial body, the messenger in this case carries a false message. However, no need to shoot him, he's already passed on.
Michael - I'd just like to comment on your comment:
- A curious, tolerant and accepting mind, Michael. *That* is why he is teaching.
- "I think its fair to say that something obviously did happen to Venus but its a planet not a comet."
- Those are names humans gave celestial objects. Plants are sizeable round rockey, gaseous or icy things that orbit one or more stars, and comets are (most probably) smaller 'dirty' ice balls that have larger orbits.
- We know of 8-9 planets around the sun and a few more that are around other stars. We've observed our 9 planets for probably 40-60,000 years. We probably only identified our planets around 10-15,000 years ago. I don't think we can categorically say that planets don't eject comets.
- "There can be no doubt that Venus is a bit of a mystery but not to the point of being the cause of major devastation."
- That doubt is exactly why Velikovsky's ideas must be explored with an open mind. "Scientists" often forget why they exist - to seek answers to questions by following a transparent and thoughtful process (not necessarily logical).
- I think there's a bit of cloud cover on venus right now. Once it shifts, we should be able to see its volcanic activity.
- Tectonic plates are most probably not a key factor for life. It's likely that life on earth began in the sea. Though volcanic activity did most likely play a key role in building cradles for life.
Hi Mark -- I've enjoyed your website for 4 years or so now (always taking its content with a grain of salt, of course), so thanks. Paul makes a great point: It's a fact that the most ancient civilizations on Earth, including Sumeria, were already in the business of observing Venus as a stable "morning star" when they supposedly witnessed its ejection from Jupiter. But more compelling evidence against Velikovsky is the fact that Venus's orbit is beautifully regular, and we find it exactly where Bode's law tells us it should be. It's just a planet, not a mischievous cosmic adventurer.
- Cheers -- Chris
The Mythology of Jupiter
- The Babylonian equivalent of Jupiter was Marduk, King of the Gods. The story of creation is centered around him. It is the planet of expansiveness and abundance. Maybe there is some ancient truth to this! Or Velikovsky used this informatie as a basis for his theory!
Craig D. E.:
It is not something scientists should turn thier back to. I think he was on to something big. It's a big universe where anything can happen. The only reason we have a moon is due to an impact during creation. Strager things have and will happen.
QUOTE "It is currently accepted that a comet wiped out the dinosaurs" END QUOTE.
- Incorrect. While this was once the most popular theory, it has now fallen aside in light of new evidence supporting a period of rapid evolution into Avian lines. While it is clear that comet/meteor impacts have occurred, it is now generally accepted that these were not the main cause of the dinosaurs' disappearance. Why? Well, there are other species of animals and many many plants that were alive during the time of dinosaurs that are still around today. A global catastrophe such as a massive meteor impact would surely not be so selective as to only kill one group of organisms.
QUOTE "[Venus's] rotation is in an opposite direction to all the other planets." END QUOTE
- I am confused. In your polar shifts section you talk about how pluto spins the opposite direction of earth. Assuming mercury, mars, jupiter, saturn, uranus, and neptune all spin in an earthly direction, it is impossible for venus to be different than "ALL" the other planets. It is either like pluto or like the rest of them. OR, perhaps your comment regarding pluto's direction of spin was incorrect. Which is it?
Chris: the dating systems they used were out of whack. A chapo called David Down can point out the many, many reasons why but the basic one is that the dates rely on "the Sothic cycle", which is a well-documented furphy. Down disagrees with Velikovsky on some details, but not in the main.
spikeinme: no, the magnetic poles flipped, not the whole show. Earth's spins has evidently been precessed around a few times, but exerting enough force to flip the planet completely over would be disruptive enough to exterminate everything down to the bacteria.
quote but exerting enough force to flip the planet completely over would be disruptive enough to exterminate everything down to the bacteria.
- END QUOTE
- not entirely true...mass extermination may not occur if the crust is the only thing that moves, kinda like the peel on an orange.
- search the web for earth crust displacement theory by Charles Hapgood
Nobody asks why Venus rotates differently, do they? Fear perhaps? What about planets in 3rd density with another in a higher density and energy level at the same time? Are they going to bite if you ask the wrong questions or say the wrong things?
- The Great Debate ( The Shapley - Curtis Debate in 1920)
- In Shapley's model, our Sun was far from the center of this Great Universe/Galaxy. In contrast, Curtis placed our Sun near the center of our relatively small Galaxy.
- ok,ok, now you expect me to believe you when you say that we have learnd everythng (i mean everything) about our local star system and universe in complete totalitiy in the last 85 years?
- and b.t.w id love a teacher like the one above as opposed to robot/monkey/drone anyday
In 2001, the Sun's poles reversed (flipped)....this apparently went underreported by most major media. It appeared in some of the popular science magazines, ie WIRED, which is where i remember reading that it occurred....it makes sense that the Earth's magnetic poles will reverse in response to this solar phenonmena which happens periodically throughout Earth's history....
I have not heard that the sun"s magnetic field
- has reversed itself in 2001 where did you read that????
yea that conference is propably in sedona,arizona instead of calif.
The comments section is now closed, but you can still email me, or even
better, visit 2012 Forum
Script by Alex